When we are depressed, sometimes it helps to have a little inspiration to cope with our condition. At times, carrying on with your day can get so difficult, that you need to turn towards others for inspiration and spirit. Many individuals have struggled with depression and have become famous for sharing their insight with profound quotes. Sometimes I like to look at quotes and just reference them when I’m feeling especially low. A little outside influence and quote from a historical figure or even anonymous figure can go a long way in helping you make it through your day.
10 Best Depression Quotes of All Time
1. “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” – Winston Churchill
This quote is not only motivational, but it just shows us that life is not always easy. In fact, for most people, life will seem like hell. But if you keep going, there’s always hope for recovery and change.
2. “The deeper the sorrow carves your being, the more joy you can contain.” – Kahlil Gibran (The Prophet)
This quote is extremely impactful because it shows that people with depression may be experiencing a lot of sorrow, but eventually they will be able to experience and appreciate true joy. Just know that you may be going through a lot right now, but eventually you will get through it.
3. “Death gotta be easy cause life is hard: It’ll leave you physically, mentally, emotionally scarred.” – 50 Cent
Rapper 50 Cent offers some insight to his life. He was abandoned by his parents, was left dealing drugs, was shot at 9 times, and has certainly experienced his fair share of depression. In a quote from his song “Many Men” he says that death must be the easy way out because life is so damn tough.
4. “Every one of us has seeds of greatness on the inside, you have a gift to share with this world. There is buried treasure down in you right now. Potential that has not yet been released. Yet so often we let other people talk us out of our dreams we let disappointments and failures keep our treasure buried. We allow insecurities and low self esteem to convince us that we don’t have anything special to offer. There is treasure, on your inside. You have something to offer, that no one else has, and if you don’t step into your destiny and release your gift, then this world will not be as bright as it should be.” – Unknown
This is a profound quote from an unknown source that discusses how everyone has seeds of greatness within. So many people let their depression get the best of them that they convince themselves they have nothing to offer this world. This is far from true and discusses the fact that everyone has something positive to contribute.
5. “Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’” – Mary Anne Radmacher
This quote discusses the fact that it takes significant courage to live with depression. At the end of the day, it is important to keep fighting through the condition. Even though others may not know what you’re going through, it is incredibly courageous to just make it through the day and continue fighting through the pain.
6. “I didn’t want to wake up. I was having a much better time asleep. And that’s really sad. It was almost like a reverse nightmare, like when you wake up from a nightmare you’re so relieved. I woke up into a nightmare.” – Ned Vizzini
This is a great quote because many times when you’re depressed, you feel as though life is better while you are asleep as opposed to being awake. It’s almost like when you wake up from your sleep, you are back to living a nightmare instead of the other way around. I remember stages in my life where all I wanted to do was sleep because the depression was so unbearable while I was awake.
7. “That’s the thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it’s impossible to ever see the end. The fog is like a cage without a key.” -Elizabeth Wurtzel
This quote addresses the fact that depression is very difficult to cope with. It creates a sense of hopelessness and people with it wonder why they should even try because they feel as though there is no end in sight.
8. “Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack, a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” – Leonard Cohen
This addresses doing what you can do in order to treat your condition and deal with life. Life is not going to be perfect, but we must do our best to find what works and do what we can to make it through the day.
9. “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning how to dance in the rain.” – Unkown
Sometimes when life gets crappy and depression becomes overwhelming, we can think of it as a test. Learn how to deal with the symptoms of sadness and fully embrace them. Realize that although depression is like one big storm, we must sometimes make the best of it – and eventually the storm will pass.
10. “Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves. Don’t search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
Words of wisdom right here. This discusses the fact that although you may not have answers for your mental illness, eventually you will. Life is about change. People change daily with new experiences. Science is constantly advancing. The possibilities for the future are endless. Don’t search for answers that aren’t available – just live life and in time you will find the answers.
Do you have any depression quotes that have helped you cope with mental illness? If so, feel free to share them in the comments section below.